Wednesday, October 5, 2011

My animal rescue story...

Anyone can give up. It's the easiest thing in the world to do. But to hold it together, when everyone else would understand if you fell apart... that's true strength." ~Author Unknown



I love this quote.

A huge passion of mine is animal rescue- particularly dog rescue. The shelters in this area are deplorable and the euthanasia rate is sickening and unacceptable. I do all that I can to help dogs in need to find a safe place and have rescued over 100 this year.

I can't tell you how many times this has entered my head with all the dog rescue work I do.
I have rescued a ton of dogs and it's not easy. The pain, heartache and stress of trying to network, find fosters, arrange transportation etc. is a true challenge. It's easy to give up, but who else do they have?

Then you look at the stories of these precious souls getting their second chance at life and every bit of heartache that comes with the territory is worth it. And it inspires you to help the next dog.

here are a few babies that inspire me every day. They had nothing until I came into their lives and gave me the ability to pave the way to a new and much better life ahead. Many of these sweet dogs have found refuge up North thanks to some incredible rescue groups!!!!!



Hope- The most pitiful rescue I have had yet. she was severely abused and wouldn't come near anyone for days. She made a ton of progress, and is still coming around slowly.i hate to think of the pain she endure her first few weeks of life that has scarred this girl forever. My sweet father adopted her and patiently works with her every day to help her understand what the good life is :)


George Yoakum. He was from a horrible shelter in Abbyville Louisiana. I rescued him and fostered him until August. I found a great family who adopted him and he is living in Memphis! He had so much personality and made me laugh every day.


Sophie was at the jackson Rabies Control one hour from Memphis. she was scheduled for euthanization the day we pulled her. She has gone to MAss. to live with my friend Tracy's sister and is super spoiled! I love my Sophie updates :) This girl could JUMP. We had our window in the office open in the Spring and before I knew it she was leaping out the window. She truly is a small dog trapped in a big dog's body- loves to swim and play catch.


Sweet rosie. this sweet girl had my heart. She was so timid and shy- such a sweet and gentle dog. She had been in a terrible dog fight and had extensive surgery- tubes in throat, etc. She was adopted to a wonderful family here in memphis!


This is Lucy. I rescued her 1 hour before she was scheduled for death in Bolivar, TN at the worst shelter I have ever seen. her "owners" dropped her off and didn't care one bit she was going to be put to sleep. She was so sweet and thankful and just smiled even though she had no teeth! She went to a wonderful rescue group in NJ and has been adopted!


Another of sweet George. I had a hard time letting this little guy go...


Penny Lane was pulled from the Bolivar shelter too hours before being put to sleep. My sister fostered her and she was adopted through a wonderful rescue group here in memphis!


These baby labs were living outside and were so tiny! They were all adopted in memphis!


This is sweet Piper. A dog who was in the wrong place at the wrong time. Another dog attacked her so she stood up for herself (wouldn't you???) and bit the dog who bit her. the owner immediately took her to the vet to be euthanized. Luckily I was called and told this dog was so sweet and highly adoptable. Idiot owner. She is now living with an older couple in a small town outside of memphis and super spoiled!



This bunch was dropped off at the shelter in Bolivar to be killed. They were so little and precious! 2 were adopted in Memphis (thanks kelly and ruth!) and the rest went to Chicago to a fabulous rescue group!


This is Aubie- now adopted by my friend megan's mother. This little baby was at the horrific Abbyville, LA shelter- gas chamber shelter!
"

Sweet daisy Mae also came from Abbyville. she was adopted by my friend megan after she fostered and fell in love!



This is AJ- one of my first rescues. I found this guy on the side of the road easting trash in a rural town while working in my territory. he was incredibly skinny and struggling to stay alive. he traveled the 2 hours back to memphis with me (asleep in my lap the whole way) and was adopted by my friend Traci. he is beautiful and so loved!



Lacey was so precious! She headed up North and was adopted to a great family!


Princess Flower- she was also known as "Wags" at the shelter because she wags her tail in a complete circle. well, this little one is STILL here at our house and has been since February. I have fallen in love with this precious baby and am still convincing Brian we need her forever! I can't say enough wonderful things about this precious little girl. I adore her!



I pulled this sweet chi girl from Bolivar shelter just moments before being put to sleep. She was at our house 2 hours before her great rescue group that agreed to take her came to pick her up. I would have to say she loved being at the shelter and having a lap to sit on! Sweet little girl!


Mo, Tutti and Lucy leaving for transport to NJ!!!!!!!


Jack was rescued by me minutes before the shelter closed for euthanizai=tion. I am talking down to the minute! He headed to a rescue group up North :)

sampson came to the shelter with Jack. he was a senior and so sweet. My friend stacy fostered him and the minute he got to her house he jumped in the pool! he was so excited to be out of the shelter. He went to the rescue in NY as well and was adopted by the president of their humane society!

The odds were stacked against Laurs. Black dog and pit bull mix. He didn't have a chance. When I walked into the shelter I immediately wanted to give this guy a chance. I called my friend Trent who agreed to help me with this sweet boy. he named him Laurs (after me :) ) and he is still living with Trent a block away loving life. I will never forget pulling this sweet boy and the smile on his face on our ride home. He wanted to have his hand touching me the whole hour ride home!

and one more of Hope- Made my heart melt to see Brian working so hard to help her get comfortable!!!!

This is chloe. this girl was covered in fleas and ticks and was pitiful! she stayed with us a couple of months and I adored her. I found a wonderful family who has moved outside of memphis that loves this sweet girl who is so big now!


This sweet girl was rescued from Bolivar shelter on her final day and fostered by my friend Dabney. her little girl Tatum named her Tutti. Hilarious! She was adopted up North in NJ!

A RESCUE POEM

Once I was a lonely dog, just looking for a home.
I had no place to go, no one to call my own.
I wandered up and down the streets, in rain in heat and snow.
I ate whatever I could find, I was always on the go.

My skin would itch, my feet were sore, my body ached with pain.
And no one stopped to give a pat or a gently say my name.
I never saw a loving glance, I was always on the run.
For people thought that hurting me was really lots of fun.

And then one day I heard a voice so gentle, kind and sweet,
and arms so soft reached down to me and took me off my feet.“
No one again will hurt you,” was whispered in my ear.
“You’ll have a home to call your own where you will know no fear.“

You will be dry, you will be warm, you’ll have enough to eat.
And rest assured that when you sleep, your dreams will all be sweet.”
I was afraid I must admit, I’ve lived so long in fear.
I can’t remember when I let a human come so near.

And as she tended to my wounds and bathed and brushed my fur,
she told me about the rescue group and what it meant to her.
She said, “We are a circle, a line that never ends.
And in the center there is you, protected by new friends.“

And all around you are the ones that check the pounds,
and those that share their home after you’ve been found.“
And all the other folk are searching near and far
to find the perfect home for you, where you can be a star.”

She said, “There is a family, that’s waiting patiently,
and pretty soon we’ll find them, just you wait and see.“
And then they’ll join our circle they’ll help to make it grow,
so there’ll be room for more like you, who have no place to go.”

I waited very patiently, the days they came and went.
Today’s the day I thought, my family will be sent.
Then just when I began to think it wasn’t meant to be,
there were people standing there just gazing down at me.

I knew them in a heart beat, I could tell they felt it too.
They said, “We have been waiting for a special dog like you.”
Now every night I say a prayer to all the gods that be.
“Thank you for the life I live and all you’ve given me.“

But most of all protect the dogs in the pound and on the street.
And send a Rescue Person to lift them off their feet.”

Arlene Pace September 18, 1998

3 comments:

  1. I can't believe you do this much work, but I'm so glad you do!

    We have 5 dogs total, 3 of which are rescues from different rescue groups. We love them to pieces and would have more if our house/yard were bigger.

    I've always wanted to do what you do, but can't manage it with my job...or husband for that matter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! You've saved a lot of pups along the way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! You have a heart of gold. What an angel for helping save these innocent creatures.

    ReplyDelete