Wednesday, August 24, 2011

the foster dog that knew



I rescued 4 dogs from a horrible shelter in abbeville, louisiana back in february. They use a gas chamber for euthanization by choking dogs with lawnmower fumes-its awful and so inhumane.
My good friend megan fostered 2 and I fostered the other 2. She ended up keeping one of hers and her mother took the other she was fostering, so they found amazing homes!
We had george and "princess flower" who was named by ella, my 5 year old niece. George got adopted at the beginning of this month, so we still have princess. We have princess still because I adore this sweet girl. And today, she reinforced why I think she is the sweetest dog I have ever met.
Sadie and buddy have (luckily) never experienced what bad is. Sadie is a rescue dog, but was pulled by a rescue at one day old. Princess has been through it all. I have never seen a more pitiful dog when it storms. Its obvious she has had to live out in the elements. She has been a mother already. Her little teeth in the front are rotted out-im sure from poor nutrition when she had to fend for herself. And she has heartworms. But this girl has the best spirit of any dog I have ever seen. Her original name was "wags" because her tail literally wags in a complete circle.
Today she sat with me in the living room after we got the news. She was laying on the rug and I was on the couch, heartbroken. I had been crying and noticed she wouldn't take her eyes off of me and was just a few inches away from me. She started blinking heavily, almost like she was crying with me. It made me think of all the has been through in her little life and she really seemed to understand how I feel. She knows what it feels like to be heartbroken and traumatized. This little girl has my heart, and I may have to ease brian into the idea of us being a 3 dog family!

2 comments:

  1. I am a new follower and just wanted to say how sorry I am to hear of your negative beta. It is heartbreaking to go through all of this only to be faced with yet another failed cycle.
    My dogs are a HUGE comfort to me, I don't know what I would do without them - hope you get to keep your little princess!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes they're the best medicine. They offer comfort that no human can. Lauren, I can't find a way to contact you personally on your blog. When you're feeling up to it, can you email me at lcrissmays@seebeautiful.com? I have something for you.

    ReplyDelete