Tuesday, August 2, 2011

STIM day 4 update! E2 bloodwork

Yesterday morning (Tues.) I went in to get my E2 (Estradiol) bloodwork. This is something they will measure every other day, along with my LH. My number was 115 and they like to see it between 100-300. If on the lower end they alter meds to a higher dose and vice versa for higher numbers. So that means more meds for me! I am increasing my 7 PM injection of Follistim to 225 from 150 per Dr. Ke's orders.I had to do 2 injections of Follistim last night bc my cartridge only had 150 units left. I was not happy about 2 injections as they really sting bad! I have my next round of bloodwork tomorrow and a ultrasound to see how the follicles are developing. I am pretty tired today. maybe it's the 120 heat index, but I am guessing all of the meds are definitely starting to have an effect. Let's hope they are making some great follicles!
brian and I researched exactly what E2 measures and here is what we found:

Estradiol: What It Is and What It Tells Us.
The level of estradiol is measured in almost every blood sample taken during the monitoring of almost every type of assisted pregnancy. It is arguably the most informative of the three tests. Because of this, we will spend more time and space on estradiol. Don't worry-- the other two won't be nearly as long.

Estradiol is a hormone that stimulates the lining of the uterus, causing the lining to grow, and to make itself ready for embryo arrival. (This is not estradiol's only function, but for us, it's the important one). Estradiol is tied into pregnancy by it's method of production: oocytes (eggs) contain follicles. These developing follicles contain 'granulosa cells'. These granulosa cells synthesize the estradiol and release it into the blood circulation.

This means that more follicles produce more estradiol. This helps measure how many follicles are actively developing. The longer they continue to develop, the longer the estradiol level continues. As they develop, the level continues to rise. This rise can further indicate that the oocyte within the follicles is reaching its maturity.

No comments:

Post a Comment